Blue and White

by Laura Casey Interiors on May 19, 2009

Blue and white never seems to go out of favor. It is always such a fresh and clean look. The color pairing dates back to ancient ceiling murals in Pompeii. It became very popular in the 17th century with DutchDelftware.

picture-212

and in 18th century France with Toile de Jouy.

picture-44

There are endless combinations but dark blue walls with crisp white trim and white furniture is one of my favorites.

picture-48

picture-41

A painted cabinet interior or a softer pale blue backsplash is very pretty.

picture-45

Suzanne Kasler’s kitchen is a blogosphere favorite!

picture-43

T. Keller Donovan did a great blue and white bathroom using Clarence House’s Outdoor Coral in Marine. The outdoor fabric in the bathroom will make it last longer with the moisture resistant properties.

picture-122

picture-131

Blue and White accessories add to any neutral base with Colefax and Fowler fabrics.

picture-142

Looking for other sources of Blue and White? Carolyne Roehm creates beautiful blue and white spaces.

picture-24

picture-42

What color to do you like with white?

Photo Credits: Antique Tiles,Linternaute,JK Place, Point Click Home, Cottage Living, Suzanne Kasler (Cote de Texas), T. Keller Donovan (House Beautiful), Country Home & Interiors, Carolyn Roehm

{ 3 trackbacks }

Trendy Tuesday – Navy Decor — Decorating Is Bliss
March 22, 2011 at 6:53 am
Trendy Tuesday – Navy Decor — Ms. Magpie Designs
July 4, 2011 at 7:42 pm
{Inspired} Color My Life: White and Blue - Sunshine Inspired Designs
October 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

1 Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home May 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

The blue backsplash in the kitchen really dazzles! Such lovely photos in your post!

2 Sarah Pribyl May 19, 2009 at 1:59 pm

You have loved blue and white for as long as I can remember! :)

I agree with Susan-backsplashes are one of my favorite design elements. They’re such a great addition to displayed china and add a very subtle but polished look to a kitchen. Thanks for the great pictures, Laura.

3 Kitchen Design May 19, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Creamer in a traditional style with a gloss white finish and a Herat blue stripe design around the top. Kitchen Design

4 velvet and linen May 19, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I must say that my favorite are those images of those dark blue walls.
What a gorgeous space!

xo
Brooke

5 Kara @ KSS May 20, 2009 at 9:44 am

I really like the blue back splash in the kitchen. :)

6 Tricia - Avolli May 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Blue and white is such a classic. You can never go wrong with it and, speaking for myself, never tire of it. The home in the third image is breathtaking!

Tricia – Avolli

7 Lauren Lewis May 20, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I’m a sucker for blue, esp. pale, pale blue. When I was about 5 months pregnant I returned home from a trip to find that, instead of scraping the radiators in our old house and repainting them and/or covering them as he had promised…my husband had decided to surprise me with a very blue bathroom. And I’m talking BLUE. It’s a pretty color, but a bit of a shock when you consider the rest of our house is done in F&H “Cashmere Cream” and “Desert Fawn”. I was not as pleased as he’d hoped. But, it’s still on the walls!
:-)

8 pve May 20, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I love blue and white, and admire those that can pull it off. On our honeymoon ( a million years ago!) in Portugal – there were some incredible tiles, in blue and white with yellow.
I collect Royal Copenhagen….china.

9 Sara Jane May 21, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Oh! my favorite color combination!! My heart fluttered at the sight of the blue interior of those cabinets with the blue and white china.

10 karlene May 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I LOVE the blue and white, beachy to me, kitchen!!! I had not seen that before. thanks!

11 SparkerShop June 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm

A color combination that will never go out of style! I just adore blue and white, in fact, I have navy walls and white linens in my bedroom…. and I collect Blue Willow china. Actually, I just did a write up on Blue Willow for my blog and I have some BW pieces for sale in my etsy shop too!

12 Trendy Tuesday – Navy Decor — Decorating Is Bliss March 22, 2011 at 6:53 am

[…] Lauren Casey Interiors […]

13 Trendy Tuesday – Navy Decor — Ms. Magpie Designs July 4, 2011 at 7:42 pm

[…] Lauren Casey Interiors […]

14 {Inspired} Color My Life: White and Blue - Sunshine Inspired Designs October 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

[…] and White Delicious Cookies, 2. Blue and White Dining Room, 3. White Cabinet With Blue Backsplash, 4. Retro Blue and White Sweetheart Apron by Creative Chicks, 5. Blue and White Plate and Napkins, […]