Headboards and other alternatives

by Laura Casey Interiors on June 12, 2009

I am working on two bedrooms for young teenage girls and considering upholstered headboards for their rooms.

The dark welting on the headboard below makes the shape pop and gives the yellow and white stripe fabric more definition.

picture-162

A matching headboard and bedskirt is always a nice look.

picture-141

I love this headboard shape and pretty Zoffany fabric. It looks nice and tight on a twin bed.

picture-5

Martha Stewart always presents a clean look.The trim on the headboard and bedskirt bring it together.

picture-7

A white headboard on dark walls is always very smart.

picture-62

A creative way to make a headboard is to frame a piece of plywood and put some batting underneath a piece of fabric.

picture-101

Or you could use tiles to give the definition to the wall behind the bed.

picture-122

Two painted beds is easy to do and a good DIY project.

picture-152

A recycled door with mounted sconces.

picture-114

Using a shorter bed frame to prop up some pictures up gives height to the bed.

picture-191

There were some night peeps at my house last night. I think I am going to need a nap today.

Photo Credits: House Beautiful (1,2,8), Style Court (3), Martha Stewart (4), Phoebe Howard (5) Sunset (6,7,9)

{ 5 trackbacks }

LCI Girls Bedroom #1 Laura Casey Interiors – Charlotte Interior Designer
September 23, 2009 at 11:30 am
WHITE HEADBOARDS | Furniture Get
August 4, 2011 at 6:03 am
Goodnight, Room: My DIY Headboard Story | Ciburbanity
January 15, 2013 at 7:02 am
August 29, 2013 at 9:33 am
Drapes Blog
March 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm

{ 17 comments }

1 Ann June 12, 2009 at 8:18 am

I love the chocolate walls and the white headboard. I also like the symmetry of the first photo, and LOVE the big stripes!

2 Jennifer June 12, 2009 at 8:23 am

The first one is my pick. Feng Shui says you shouldn’t have fractured images which the mirror tiles would give so I’d steer clear of that one. Upholstered bedheads are a lovely way to put some softness in the room and add a bit of colour and drama. I love the dark painted walls with the white bedhead too. So many choices!

3 Things That Inspire June 12, 2009 at 8:50 am

After looking for a headboard for several years, I finally decided to have an upholstered headboard made, with a shaped wood frame painted in Benjamin Moore white dove. The came the search for the perfect shade of blue for the fabric (I love blue and white bedrooms) – I ended up selecting a Holland & Sherry linen, and had a matching bedskirt made. I love it! Now I am on the hunt for a great blue and white fabric for a bolster pillow, but with the kids out of school my free time is limited.

Great post! My favorite is the room with the matching headboard and bedskirt. In fact, the look is very similar to my own bedroom – I have the same Chelsea Textiles bedside tables.

4 pve June 12, 2009 at 9:11 am

Love each of those headboards. I would be happy for a nap in any one of those “just right” beds, like Goldilocks!

5 Nicolette June 12, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I guess it depends on what kind of mood I’m in. Normally I would choose the Martha Stewart design, but I also enjoy the red pieces very well. Or perhaps we can set up different bedrooms for different days?

Nicolette

6 Lauren June 12, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Love, love, love upholstered headboards. Have been wanting one for several years now, but, alas, the pricing on most I would want makes the option an elusive one, at this point. (I like the do it yourself ideas, but there are too many other house projects that are a priority to justify that project any time soon).
I thought I had found a very affordable option recently at noneother than Target–yes, that’s how badly I want an upholstered headboard.
The one I found looked like a decent material and was in a very reasonable price range…I kept looking and looking at the picture, zooming in up close, trying to discern why it was so much cheaper than the other options. Finally, I read a product review, written by a very disappointed and angry customer, indicating that it was a …get this…BLOW UP headboard.
Yep, kind of like a raft at the pool– you blow up the stinkin’ headboard…with air….from your mouth, I presume. Or perhaps a bicycle pump? Seriously.
That’s when I stopped looking and decided to wait to do it right someday when I have the $. :-)

7 Jean June 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Love the blue and white upholstered headboard and matching skirt. Gorgeous.

8 Cristin June 12, 2009 at 5:30 pm

The yellow and white stripe is my favorite! Love the dark welting.
xo,
cristin

9 Julie June 12, 2009 at 8:14 pm

wow!! all=beautiful! I love upholstered headboards, they create so much opportunity in a room. Always a great “anchor” for a bigger room!

10 annechovie June 13, 2009 at 9:52 am

Laura, I love the photos you have posted – I am a huge fan of upholstered headboards. there’s nothing quite as comfortable. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

11 Vasudha June 13, 2009 at 11:58 am

i feel like making one for myself one now………..

12 kathleen June 13, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I want a recycled door for a headboard. Just like the one you’ve shown.

13 Kim Wakefield June 13, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I love these photos! I especially love the Martha Stewart room, I am looking for bedside tables like those in the photo, perfect!! Love your blog!

Kim W

14 Sweet Nothings June 15, 2009 at 8:44 pm

oh, i am deciding if im going to do a tufted headbaord, or frame some vintage toile wallpaper as a headboard..i just cannot decide!

15 Ali Duffy June 16, 2009 at 8:36 am

Not sure on painting the steps and rails, was that what you were thinking? The blog looks terrific!! Always dug that chocolate bedroom

16 amanda talley June 18, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I LOVE your headboard ideas. I really like how easy the framed fabric plywood option is. I have a big Rose Casterline painting over my bed so I managed to get away without having one!

17 meg June 18, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I’m looking for a headboard right now so this post is perfect inspiration! I love the first picture, the dark welting is such a nice detail. Like Lauren, above, I thought I found a great headboard from Nake Burkus on HSN, but after zooming in on the online picture and reading a bad review it is hard to commit. The search continues!!

18 LCI Girls Bedroom #1 Laura Casey Interiors – Charlotte Interior Designer September 23, 2009 at 11:30 am

[…] when I wrote the post on headboards? I know you all like the before and after’s so here is one of the teenage girls bedrooms I […]

19 WHITE HEADBOARDS | Furniture Get August 4, 2011 at 6:03 am

[…] white headboards lauracaseyinteriors.com […]

20 Goodnight, Room: My DIY Headboard Story | Ciburbanity January 15, 2013 at 7:02 am

[…] 2. I had spent some time poking around on Pinterest, Google images, and Houzz to get ideas for headboard shapes that would work with a border.  I didn’t want anything too complicated, but still more interesting than the basic one we had before.  Below is the shape I landed on. {Source} […]

21 Why Buy When You Can DIY?: The Story of an Upholstered Headboard | embrace my space August 29, 2013 at 9:33 am

[…] viaSince a headboard was something that I could easily (in my mind) make myself, I didn’t do much […]

22 Drapes Blog March 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm

White Twin Bedskirt Laura

[…] really like how easy the framed fabric plywood option is. I have a big Rose Cas […]

Comments on this entry are closed.