Linen Storage

by Laura Casey Interiors on September 4, 2012

I have busy days so being organized at home is really important for me. I like to know where everything is and it saves me a lot of time. Friends and clients often say to me that they have a hard time figuring out where to store their extra linens and towels. Chests, dressers and linen presses are great pieces of furniture for storage if you don’t have built-ins.

Screen Shot 2012 09 03 at 8.05.46 PM Linen Storage

A vintage armoire can serve as a great storage spot for extra blankets in a bedroom,

vintage cabinet Linen Storage

and built-in cabinets in bathrooms can be ideal.

built in Linen Storage

open concept in washroom Linen Storage

If you have any antique linens, be sure to keep them in acid-free tissue paper which prevents them from turning yellow.

Screen Shot 2012 09 03 at 8.04.45 PM Linen Storage

The below photo is just the kind of thing that I like to find and try out.

Screen Shot 2012 09 03 at 8.04.27 PM Linen Storage

Using simple ribbons can transform the look of your linen closet and are great for linens you don’t use on a regular basis. If you have a guest room that doesn’t require regular sheet changing this would be a good way to not mix them in with your other sheet sets. I’ve mentioned this trick before, but placing linens within pillowcases helps to keep them organized.

ribbons Linen Storage

The best thing I’ve discovered- keep only what you really need and use, it makes organization a whole lot easier.

Images: Better Homes & Gardens (1), Rethink Design Studio on Houzz (2), Southern Living (3), Houzz (4), Martha Stewart  (5,6), Citified (7).

1 Lisa Mende Design September 4, 2012 at 6:33 am

Great post Laura! Very helpful and informative! Have a great week!

2 pve September 4, 2012 at 7:05 am

Fabulous. Just what I needed after sending twins off to college. Time to re-group and restore order to my linen closets.

3 cindy hattersley design September 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

This is a fabulous post I posted it on my facebook page. I love the idea of tucking the sheet set in the pillow case. How have I missed that one! We have a vacation home and it is a constant problem. Some excellent storage suggestions!

4 Susan Slaughter September 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Great one Laura! Thank you!

5 pretty pink tulips September 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hi Laura,
Some inspiring images here!! I love it when things are organized, including my linen closet.

Had to smile though…my husband is addicted to Costco. Not sure why he feels our family of 4 needs to have a year’s supply of toilet paper and aluminum foil…..but we are always overstocked! :)

xoxo Elizabeth

6 Katharine September 5, 2012 at 8:57 am

I have been cleaning house lately! Question, how do you keep stored towels smelling fresh? Sachets? And do you replace towels every 5 years? I feel like some of ours have gotten dingy!

7 LLH Designs September 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I wish my linen closet looked as neat and tidy as that first image. Sheet folding isn’t my thing. Always messy looking! xo!

8 Maleah Hennson October 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

So thats how you fold a fitted sheet! I was always wondering how the fitted sheets where folded when you first take them out of the package. Can’t wait to try this, thanks!!