When to use sectional sofas

by Laura Casey Interiors on July 12, 2012

People often ask me my opinion on using sectional sofas. Under the right conditions they can be functional and look great. I think their best use is in rooms with high ceilings or lots of windows, and upholstered in a lighter color. Getting room and upholstery proportions correct can be a challenge. If you’ve got a smaller sized room with low ceilings you are better off choosing a mix of a sofa and chairs to help break up the space. Here are a few good examples of sectionals.

Sectionals can be great when they are done right! What do you think of their look?

Images: Tobi Tobin for Lonny (1), Lee Mindel for Elle Decor (2),  Phoebe Howard (3), Steven Gambrel in Elle Decor (4), Philip Mitchell in House and Home (5), Jill Greaves Design (6), Kendell Wilkinson Design on Houzz (7) and Architectural Digest (8).

{ 3 trackbacks }

3 Ways to Make Your Living Room More Functional - Vida Yazdani
August 27, 2015 at 10:47 am
3 Ways to Make Your Living Room More Functional
August 28, 2015 at 11:44 am
3 Ways to Make Your Living Room More Functional | Jerry Weiner
September 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

1 Anonymous July 12, 2012 at 6:32 am

I like these looks and how they blend with more traditional elements.

2 traci zeller designs July 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm

To me, sectionals can be the right choice when a family needs a lot of seating and space is limited. Much easier to cram twins or triplets on a sectional! ;-) Great advice, Laura!

3 M.A. April 23, 2013 at 7:43 pm

All the rooms with sectionals look very beautiful. Too bad I don’t have room for a sectional . . . I would love one. I didn’t realize they would suit a traditional home.

Thanks for the photos

4 Nicole March 5, 2014 at 8:41 am

I do not have a room for sectionals either, but I love them so much

5 3 Ways to Make Your Living Room More Functional - Vida Yazdani August 27, 2015 at 10:47 am

[…] feel less cluttered.” If you find yourself debating over what to do with your sofa, consider what Designer Laura Casey has to say, “People often ask me my opinion on using sectional sofas. Under the right conditions […]

6 3 Ways to Make Your Living Room More Functional August 28, 2015 at 11:44 am

7 3 Ways to Make Your Living Room More Functional | Jerry Weiner September 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm