Trad Home

by Laura Casey Interiors on May 18, 2011

Trad Home is the fantastic new online magazine published by Traditional Home.

Screen shot 2011 05 15 at 3.30.40 PM Trad Home

A big thank you to Courtney Barnes- aka Style Court – for including me in her article for the premier issue of Trad Home. She asked me about object-driven design and creating personal spaces for clients. This is an important aspect of the design process and building good client relationships. Right now I am working on a project where we going to incorporate much of the couples travel photography onto a gallery wall in their family room. I have a quilt that my great-grandmother made at the end of our bed, and I love having personal touches in my house as well. Meaningful art, family heirlooms, and treasured possessions are all elements that make a house feel like a home.

1936 1305231561 Trad Home

Lucky me to be included in the article with the talented Angie Hranowsky.

What’s important to you in your house? I hope you enjoy the article!

1 Megan Urbaniak May 18, 2011 at 6:27 am

CONGRATS! Great Write up!

2 TSL Living In Art May 18, 2011 at 6:45 am

How perfect!
Super congrats are in order my friend, love love love it all. Tina

3 Greet May 18, 2011 at 6:50 am

Congratulations!!! And thank you for sharing this magazine with us!
xx
Greet

4 Jean May 18, 2011 at 7:07 am

Way to go! Congrats!

5 Susan Slaughter May 18, 2011 at 7:57 am

I have an intricate needlepoint of 2 birds that is partially completed done by my German grandmother in a town in Yugoslavia where my family had been for hundreds of years. It was started prior to WWII when she was a young mother. They had to flee their home and this needlepoint was one of the pieces that my aunt (who was about 10 at the time) ran back into the house to retrieve. For several years my grandmother, aunt, and mom were refugees before coming to the United States and they dragged around this needlepoint in their suitcase. By the time they made it to U.S. and began a new life, my grandmother’s eyes were no longer sharp enough to complete the work. It has so much family history. It is also so, so, so pretty and in our living room.
Thanks for taking me down memory lane this morning Laura!

6 Kathysue May 18, 2011 at 9:44 am

Laura,Congratulations!! Wow!!! I think it shows what kind of designer you are for your clients by making sure you keep their personality in their home. Memories are what give a house a soul!! Kathysue

7 meg May 18, 2011 at 10:52 am

Congrats Laura! Loved the write up; using personal items in your home is such a great way to honor your past and I’m hoping my mom will pass down some of my great-grand mothers painting so I can put them in my houes some day.

8 Sarah Pribyl May 18, 2011 at 11:40 am

Go Sissy! Congratulations!

9 nanne May 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

congrats on being in trad home!! you so deserve that recognition & trad home is so lucky to have you in their magazine.

i love that you work with what people already have in their homes. being from the south, i can tell you that we love our family heirlooms (fancy name for a bunch of stuff that no one can bear to get rid of..)! i have so many things, some with monetary value & others with none, that all mean so much to me because of who/where they came from.

i have my maternal grandmother’s dining room table and chairs that we had christmas & thanksgiving dinner around every year of my life (i was also the “lucky” one who got to polish the entire bunch…), a portrait of my beautiful paternal grandmother as well as a pair of floral brass candleabras that she & i both loved, a gorgeous, chrystal chandelier and brass andirons (very ornate depicting, we think, poseidon) that my husband’s grandmother used as a jumping off point to tell hilarious stories about her new york decorator. many, many old & vintage books from my literary loving family…..

the point is that all of these things tell a story or have a memory for me of someone i loved who is gone as, i’m sure, your client’s do..

nanne in indiana by way of alabama

10 Cindy Cowles May 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Laura, kudos!
I love including “memories” in projects. It truly is what turns houses into homes. I have so many treasures, some have monetary value, but most are value in my heart. And really the heart is what speaks the most to me. My mother has been diagnoses with Alzheimers and I am travelling down to Florida often to be with her. I love the treasures that remind me of better times. best to you!

11 velvet and linen May 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Congratulations Laura!
TradHome is such a wonderful addition to online inspiration.

xo
Brooke

12 kristen May 19, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Wow!!! Congratulations!!! You’re so awesome ;) . Xxoo

13 Sarah (Matters of Style) May 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Congrats! Love your ideas!

14 Amy Vermillion May 26, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Brava my friend!
Amy

15 style court May 27, 2011 at 8:01 am

Laura –

Travel photography sounds like a great idea. Thanks for helping me with the story.

Cheers,