Amanda Talley & the NY Times

by Laura Casey Interiors on April 7, 2011

I’ve posted about¬†Amanda Talley’s art work before as I have the pleasure of seeing her and her fantastic paintings on my trips to New Orleans. I couldn’t help but notice that the work on the cover of the NY Times Home Section today looks exactly like Amanda’s. At first glance I wondered if it is her work, and upon reading it, I realized a woman in New Orleans copied Amanda’s work onto a drop cloth.

Screen shot 2011 04 07 at 10.11.31 PM Amanda Talley & the NY Times

Screen shot 2011 04 07 at 8.56.27 PM Amanda Talley & the NY Times

A few example’s of Amanda’s original art…

Screen shot 2011 04 07 at 9.04.19 PM Amanda Talley & the NY Times

Screen shot 2011 04 07 at 9.04.34 PM Amanda Talley & the NY Times

Screen shot 2011 04 07 at 10.13.22 PM Amanda Talley & the NY Times

This woman knows Amanda and her art so there’s no saying she just happened to come up with this idea on her own; big thumbs down in my opinion. She carries Amanda’s work in her shop in New Orleans and on her 1stdibs site.

Screen shot 2011 04 08 at 7.05.22 AM Amanda Talley & the NY Times

I don’t usually get too opinionated on my blog, but I have to say I really think this is wrong. This is not “inspiration”, this is stealing someone else’s work and a major lapse in judgement. I think the NY Times should run Amanda’s work on the cover of the Arts Section and Amanda should get some serious credit for her talents.

Recently I found out that a friends blog posts were getting copied too. Dear copiers- come up with your own material! It’s the only way to be a true artist in any capacity.

I’d love to hear your thoughts…

1 sunny goode April 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Laura!
I think Amanda’s work is far more beautiful…her composition and color use is right on target…I have not read the article, but maybe this person was inspired and cannot afford a piece by Amanda yet, so in the meantime created something similar? for effect? She is not selling them is she?
In my opinion, the original work is SO much better!
Every artist is inspired by other artists…
tx for the post!! love them as always!

Sunny

2 Nanine Hartzenbusch April 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Laura – I am in total agreement with you – Copying (not inspiration) – two different things – is not only unethical but illegal – (words and photographs are protected by US copyright law, and I believe art works – created works are as well). Perhaps a letter to the editor of the Home section of the NYT? Thanks for bringing up this important issue – it’s running rampant in the photography world too!

nanine

3 Splendid Willow April 8, 2011 at 12:36 am

There are copy cats everywhere (and boy do I have some stories to tell you about blog land…). And with art, the term would be inspiration….

Amanda should take it as the ultimate flatter. The original artist is rarely forgotten. And you just gave her a lovely extra boost!

Happy weekend to you, friend,

Mon

4 Barbara@HausDesign April 8, 2011 at 2:08 am

I agree with the other comments…hopefully this art was inspired by the originals rather than just blatantly copied; however, it would have been nice to include that in the article. Who knows how that all worked out in editing… To give her the benefit of the doubt, it’s a fine line between copying and inspiration. Think of all of the DIY out there…maybe it doesn’t look as good as the original, but it’s usually an attempt to copy it…

5 laura April 8, 2011 at 6:45 am

If she has a 1stdibs site she can afford one of Amanda’s paintings, or even Amanda’s works on paper which are very affordable. Thanks for the comments.

6 Susan Slaughter April 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love you speaking your mind and I also agree with your point.

Fortunately copies usually do not capture the beauty of the original – definitely true in this situation! Amanda’s work is beautiful.

7 nanne April 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

laura,

you were so right to post about this. amanda’s work is beautiful and original to her. as someone posted previously, it should have been acknowlegded as an inspiration piece or a copy in the article.

i had a photography business for years back in alabama–the b&w, darkroom, chemicals, hand coloring kind. i spent countless hours planning shoots, actually doing the shoots and printing, coloring, toning, touching up by hand, etc. the final pics.

someone actually entered one of my prints in a rather large, juried photography contest under their name. i’m a big wimp and thankfully didn’t have to do anything as one of the judges recognized my work and took care of it. BUT, although i wan’t really angry, i felt like someone was trying to steal my life, if that makes any sense.

anyway…kudos to you!

nanne in indiana by way of alabama

8 E. Lee April 9, 2011 at 7:54 am

Laura, thanks for posting this! Amanda told me about your post herself. This situation makes my blood boil. Amanda has enough loyal fans that know the difference between her work and imposters but what did Karina have to gain from this?

9 LLH Designs April 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I think every really talented artist and designer must have an unfortunate copycat story. I know they say it’s the highest compliment, but I disagree. Buying the real deal is the highest compliment.

Get this: I once had a “friend” look at my designs, tell me how much she loved one of mine, then take my design to a cheaper designer who replicated it almost exactly. Then she had the guts to send me her Christmas card!!! My jaw dropped. But sadly, copying happens in my industry all the time. Less creative designers browse websites looking for “inspiration” but then throw integrity out the window and pass off their latest designs as their own.

The sad part is that Karina strikes me as someone who would appreciate original creations and the talent and passion that goes into them.

I appreciate your integrity, Laura.
Xo,
Linsey

10 LLH Designs April 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Just an added thought: if she made this herself for her own personal decor, I don’t have as huge a problem with it. If she’s selling these as her own work, I have a huge problem. If she had someone else make it for her, I also have a huge problem. That middle man should never have copied another artist’s work. Just as the cheaper card designer never should have copied my design when asked.

Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD!

Xo,
Linsey

11 Amy Vermillion April 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

DOUBLE UGH!
Nothing really surprises me anymore. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery but don’t you think the article or the “artist” could have mentioned the real artist?
With a “based on” blah blah blah sentence I would be less peeved.

Unfortunately it happens all the time. Intellectual property is a pickle.

12 Acanthus & Acorn April 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

Laura,
You are so right about this!!!! It’s so unfortunate that the NY Times didn’t do their homework on this one. I think it would have been great if she said this is my version of a favorite artist/artwork by…and then given credit where it’s due! We all get inspiration from so many things and people…original anything is getting more and more rare and I have tremendous respect and I am much more interested in what someone has to say or how they executed an idea when they state the inspirational sources, so then others in turn can be inspired by them.
xo,
~R

13 Bain Bradford February 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Hmmm. Funny nobody ever mentions how close in resemblance Amanda’s work is to Cy Twombly. Guess that’s where she draws “inspiration”.