Stone

by Laura Casey Interiors on March 16, 2011

Recently I have been thinking through some major possible change in a clients’ home. A couple nights ago I spent some time going though a few of my books and was inspired by these uses of stone.

Stone is a wonderful on the exterior because it looks great, it is a strong material, and it doesn’t need to be repainted. I also love it indoors for these same properties. Stone  in the kitchen can be quite a hard surface to stand on for long periods of time, so I always suggest area rugs or runners with a rug pad to help keep it comfortable.

Stone kitchens also give a warm feel and a sense of time, like the kitchen has been used for generations.

I like the above stone fireplace made a bit more modern on a white wall,

and I’m eyeing that clock at the same time.

Photo Credits: Stone & Marble Designer Mimi O’Connell, Photographer Fritz von der Schulenburg (1) Designer Tom Calloway, Photographer Tim Street-Porter (2) Designer Henrietta Spencer-Churchill with Woodstock Designs, Photographer Andreas V. Einsiedel, Elizabeth Whiting & Associates (3) Photographer Michael Dunn, Elizabeth Whiting & Associates (4) Photographer Nider, Franca Speranza (5) Designer Tom Calloway, Photographer Tim Street-Porter (6) Joe Nahem (7) Julie Greenwood (8) Steven Gambrel & Chris Connor (9) Paul Ludick (10)  William Waldron (11)

Pro Blogger News
March 16, 2011 at 8:33 am

1 The enchanted home March 16, 2011 at 6:07 am

Never met a room with stone that I didn’t love. So warm, inviting, authentic and old world…whats not to love?

2 Things That Inspire March 16, 2011 at 6:32 am

Beautiful images. I remember when we were talking about doing a stone entry for the new house, and i asked my architect why some houses have stone, some have wood. He said that traditionally stone was much more practical for an entry and for the hard working areas of a home, as it was more durable than wood and worked well for entry points to a house (front, back, and side) because people could come in from the elements and not worry about ruining the wood floors.

He also said that the decision in this day and age, when we can protect the floors better, and when cars enable us to escape the elements somewhat, is often based on historical precedent for the style of house, or the floor plan – if only a few sections of the house have stone – how to make a transition from one floor surface to another.

3 pve March 16, 2011 at 7:03 am

When you take a tour of the Champagne caves, it is all stone! I will be using stone on the outside wall and am re-thinking our brick fire-place with stone….there are some stunning stones out there. As my father told me, a rolling stone gathers no moss…I love them when they are covered in moss and mystery!

4 Barbara@HausDesign March 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

What a beautiful post…I especially loved the exterior shots since they remind me so much of what we have seen so far here in Europe…I would love to bring some of these ideas to our dream home when we come back to the States…looks like you’re off to a beautiful start for your client!

5 Pro Blogger News March 16, 2011 at 8:33 am

Stone…

[…]Photo Credits: Stone & Marble Designer Mimi O'Conel, Photographer Fritz von der Schulenburg (1) Designer Tom Caloway, Photographer Tim[…]…

6 Ellen March 16, 2011 at 9:28 am

Beautiful images….make me want to remodel…..yipes!….smiles.

7 nanne March 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm

i love stone!! we have blue stone around our pool….

the great thing about real stone is that is always looks right, never looks cheap, will most likely damage whatever might be dropped on in rather than the other way around and is always in style.

nanne in indiana by way of alabama.

8 chic coles March 17, 2011 at 7:29 am

What great inspiration. One stone look we would like to try is water or river stones.

9 Gretchen O March 17, 2011 at 8:12 am

What great inspiration. .I think it warms up these spaces….and the kitchen is just beautiful with the stone walls and cafe chairs. (I imagine quite a few batches of stew have been made in that kitchen!)

10 Splendid Willow March 17, 2011 at 8:51 am

Beautiful images. The kitchen, the kitchen! Stunning!

I love stone too but I have spent many summers in an old house (13th c) on Mallorca were we had stone walls in the kitchen. So beautiful, but it got sooo dusty! Maybe it was just because of age, I don’t know – but boy did I have to sweap!

Hope all is well. Miss you!

Mon

11 Storibook Designs March 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love when stone is incorporated into a room, it just adds a little something extra. I keep going back to that second picture with the stone around the door and leading out into what looks like a tony garden area, feels so welcoming. I hope you share what you decide to do at your clients house with the stone.