Post & Beam

by Laura Casey Interiors on January 10, 2011

I was excited to see this house on the cover of Elle Decor’s December 2010 issue and was reminded of how much I love post and beam construction.

mountain homes turner ed1210 02 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 01 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 03 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 05 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 06 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 07 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 08 Post & Beam

mountain homes turner ed1210 10 Post & Beam

Originally rooted in architecture from England, Holland and Norway, American Post and Beam construction started as soon as the settlers arrived and started to build houses. Stave churches found in Norway are one of my favorite types of early post & beam construction. The Borgund Stave Church dates back to the late 12th century.

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 1.57.51 PM Post & Beam

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 2.00.12 PM Post & Beam

While the beams certainly set a tone for a home, they can be incorporated into either a traditional or more transitional interior.

House and Home Mimi Findlay Post & Beam

Arch. Digest Karen Blake Post & Beam

Arch Digest Stephen Shadley Post & Beam

The house below was built in Canada in the 18th century as a barn and moved to the coast of Rhode Island.

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 2.17.45 PM Post & Beam

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 2.17.57 PM Post & Beam

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 2.18.11 PM Post & Beam

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 2.19.11 PM Post & Beam

Screen shot 2010 12 30 at 2.18.45 PM Post & Beam

Interesting to see how modern design and architecture is once again rooted in what is original.

Screen shot 2010 12 31 at 8.07.37 AM Post & Beam

Photo Credits: Designer Mary Lynn Turner & Photographer Miguel Flores-Vianna in Elle Decor (1-8) Wikipedia Borgund Church (9,10) Mimi Findlay via House and Home (11) Karen Blake (12) Stephen Shadley (13) Architectural and Interior Design by Ellen Denisevich-Grickis in Architectural Digest June 2008 (14-18)

Post and beam homes | Seksitarinat
January 19, 2011 at 7:19 am

1 Cindy January 10, 2011 at 9:04 am

absolutely inspiring. The pop of turquoise on the door, the modern lighting, all just a fabulous mix. Thanks Laura!

2 pve January 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

I love this look and one day hope to have a ski house.
There is something so easy about it. I love all of your images!

3 nanine January 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

Fabulous post – love the photos and the feel of these places. enjoyed looking at the various ways this construction can be used – especially the back porch with fireplace, floor to ceiling windows or screens and the dark wood beams on the ceiling – cozy!

4 Ellen January 10, 2011 at 9:11 am

Beautiful! …..smiles.

5 Caroline January 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

Gorgeous! Drooling over that house from Elle Decor….

6 Karena January 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

Laura, so much warmth. These homes just invite you to enter and enjoy a comfortable lifestyle.

Also, I have a Great New Giveaway from Blydesign! Come and enter!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

7 velvet and linen January 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

These are such wonderful images, Laura!
Perfect inspiration for the home Steve and I are designing.
Thank you!

xo
Brooke

8 LLH Designs January 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

Total love. I love the rustic, exposed wood paired with clean, white slip covers.

Have a great week!
Linsey

9 Mona Thompson January 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Love all of these images. Rustic is just so warm and comfortable. I love a really rustic room with crumbly beams and walls with a crystal prism chandelier hanging in the middle of it. Isn’t it just crazy how we just cannot get enough of this stuff?

10 doug @ tracery January 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm

love this style as well…and that Elle Decor house is amazing, isn’t it?

11 meg January 10, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for this post Laura- I learned something. Our kitchen has beams that I love and this helped me to understand the architectural significance and certainly lends a lot of inspiration!!

12 Pretty Pink Tulips January 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

I fell hard for this house in Elle Decor! My f-in-law wants to update the ranch house….and I showed him this. What an amazing home/compound!

Hope you’re staying warm down there. Your storm is coming our way! Yikes!

13 renee finberg January 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

i dream of living in a post and beam home.
i would have to build my own in palm beach county if i wanted one….
and somehow it would defeat the purpose for me.
i love the last small stone house in your post.
that is just my style.

14 Splendid Willow January 13, 2011 at 2:23 am

Oh Laura. As always your posts are inspirational and educational. That is why I love coming here. Some 15 years ago, my fiancee at the time and I renovated an old house from the 12th century in Pollenca, Mallorca (Spain). Every room had large, beautiful beams and old, original stone walls! Only good memories!

Warm hugs,

Mon

15 Deborah January 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I love the exposed beams and the rustic feel it creates. The wicker chairs are a wonderful compliment as well! Thanks for the inspiration.

16 Paul Byron Downs January 14, 2011 at 11:27 pm

The home and article in Elle Decor for December was a beautiful rustic retreat perfect for the holidays.

Paul