Town & Country: Ruthie Sommers

by Laura Casey Interiors on December 8, 2010

I love the January Town & Country feature of a beautiful Chicago home designed by Ruthie Sommers. The couple who own the home sought Sommers’ “youthful West Coast take on English country style”. Sommers herself noted of the interiors, “If you had to pinpoint my signature in the house, it would be the little things that create personality…it’s a confectionary of playful trims and details”. The color combinations make it all pop!

Glazed yellow walls and gilt-wood mirrors in the living room look fresh and young.

The glass-walled conservatory features a Madeline Weinrib rug and heated floors. I love the loop chairs!

The lively-patterned family room in old English pine.

A peek of de Gourney wallpaper in the dining room with a blue border at the top of the wallpaper is unexpected and fantastic. What a great pairing with the blue glasses.

The Red Room, used for cocktails and reading…

The Master Bedroom Suite is a mix of beautiful colors with painted wallpaper by Gracie, a Louis-Philippe canopy,

a mid-century Italian mirror from 1st Dibs hangs in the master bedroom’s sitting area, and

fun metallic wallpaper in the dressing room.

The master bathroom is luxurious and soft.

“Some of the most elegant houses, ever, have never been redecorated. When we were decorating [this home], we were always thinking about the memories we were creating for their kids. The feeling of stability they’ll get some day coming back from college and seeing their bedrooms exactly as they looked when they were growing up.” – Ruthie Sommers

What’s your favorite room?

Photo Credits: Matthew Hranek for Town & Country, January 2011

1 sunny goode December 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

Absolutely STUNNING!
I love every room! She has a great balance of color and pattern….and style!

2 Mona Thompson December 8, 2010 at 9:24 am

All wonderful, but the conservatory was my absolute favorite. This home has definite personality. I love gorgeous homes like this with personal style vs. filled with trends.

3 Ann December 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

Gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. I love all of it, but especially the family room. Maybe if I could make our den look like that I wouldn’t be so tired of all the pine! What talent.

4 my notting hill December 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

So glad you posted on this – I probably would have missed it otherwise (need to remember to check out Town & Country). Love, love the glazed yellow walls in the living room.

5 Susan Slaughter December 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm

So beautiful. Thank you Laura!

6 Blue Hydrangea December 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm

That’s it! I am getting a subscription to Town & Country. they have really stepped it up!!

7 Sarah (Matters of Style) December 8, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Loved seeing Ruthie in T&C! Although contrary to what everyone else says, I feel like T&C has been more pretentious than usual lately! The 100 dinner party guests was a little too Page 6-ish for me!

8 Blair @ Studio13 December 8, 2010 at 3:42 pm

That bed with the canopy, and the dressing room are to die for.

9 Pretty Pink Tulips December 9, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Loved this entire house – but my heart leaped when it saw the Red Room!!!! Cheers to something fun like that!

xo Elizabeth

10 K Valas December 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Ruthie Sommers is super talented and from what I read about her a sweetheart as well. I’ve been a big fan since she was on the cover of Domino years ago. I’m going to buy this issue of T and C.

11 kat January 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm

So funny- I have this section of T&C open on my desk and keep looking at the images. LOVE IT!