Boys Rooms: Baby to Big Kid

by Laura Casey Interiors on November 4, 2010

As I transition my youngest son’s room from a nursery into a “big kid” space, I have been thinking about furniture and design ideas that will last him into his early teens.┬áStarting with a nursery that is not too babyish can help with this change as kids get older.

Choosing big investment pieces such as rugs, curtains and furniture that can work with different ages is a good way to make sure that more expensive items won’t need to be replaced.

By keeping the same color palette and changing out accessories, your boy’s room can transition easily from babyhood to big kid. This concept can also be helpful when transitioning from a big kid room to a teen room.

The room below can make the transition through a variety of ages by replacing the crib with a bed and updating art and accessories.

I am getting some big time pressure for bunk beds…that’s a whole different post.

Ideas for girls’ rooms coming soon.

Photo Credits: Coastal Living, Living Etc, via Houzz, Ashley Whittaker, Katie Ridder (5 & 6), Canadian House and Home, Lynn Morgan

1 Liz Morten November 4, 2010 at 10:29 am

Will we see you tomorrow in CLT? I vote for the brass beds.
Best,
Liz

2 Carrie Waller November 4, 2010 at 11:29 am

Great post, I’m going through the same thing. Actually our challenge was having to integrate a big boy bed and a crib into the same room. I painted large canvases 36 x 48 of realistic air planes, each an airframe that their grand father, great grandfather, uncle either flew or worked on (Air Force family, long line of pilots). This worked well, with my little guys crib theme (Dwell studio airplanes) and also transitions into a big boy space. My older guy got a new bed with a trundle, it’s great, we now have extra guest space . We added in lots of model airplanes. The whole room came together very nicely and they both love the airplanes.

3 pve November 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

My sons loved the “bunk bed” years and they are still in them, just not bunked up!
It gave more freedom, more space in their room for playing!
Love all the images you have posted here.

4 sunny goode November 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Love the post! I did the bunk beds—huge pain to make up and keep looking neat- we had to place them in a corner, floating them in the center of a wall might have been a lot easier.
This is great though! so many neat options!

5 Chic Coles November 4, 2010 at 12:48 pm

What a great post! I am loving the nursery’s…especially the ones with the zebra rug and that stunning crib by the window. I imagine it would be quite hard trying to plan a room that will work for a teenage boy when he is young but you gave some great suggestions!

6 Sally@DivineDistractions November 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Great inspiration photos, Laura. I think color is a big key to making the transition. More masculine colors….maybe even more sophisticated colors….will allow you to change from age group to age group a little more easily. Great examples!

7 Lindley November 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’m doing the same thing for my son Leighton’s room right now. I found some great fabrics from Ralph Lauren that are young but more “big boy” – plus not too expensive because I know he’s going to eventually destroy it! I’ll post pics on my blog soon…can’t wait to see your finished product!

8 Sarah (Matters of Style) November 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I love that navy daybed with the monogrammed pillows! Bunk beds… My MIL has been trying to force her set on me since the moment baby boy was born. I just can’t do it! Fine at the beach, lake, or mountains, but not in my real house!

9 Acanthus & Acorn November 4, 2010 at 4:12 pm

This is tricky, but fun! I have always let my kids have a “say” in their room decor. They’ve each been through 3 transformations from baby, to big kid to teen. I don’t have any regrets abouts purchases. I really do think kids spaces need to be about their interests and desires. It’s our job as parents and designers to manage their expectaions while keeping things functional and reasonable so everyone is happy with the outcome!

10 Kathysue November 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Great post and good advice love all the inspiration rooms!! I love to little boys rooms, I had 3 sons so I have done a few in my days. Kathysue

11 cristin @ simplified bee November 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Love this post! The room with the world map and colorful shade is a great one. The good thing is there are alot of options today for boy’s rooms. Have fun!!!

xo,
cristin

12 Sanity Fair November 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I LOVE the Americana room – but it would be even better with the blue zebra rug in it!
-SF

13 Pretty Pink Tulips November 7, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’m at a point where my boys want to make changes to their rooms. One feels his is too “babyish” and one just needs to express more of his interests. I love the rooms above – now I just have to marry my aesthetics and their interests!!

14 The Zhush November 7, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Loving the inspiration and the mood board at the end! Can’t wait to see what you have in store for girls, as my 11 year old daughter has been begging me for an updated room…not a nursery to big girl room, but rather a little girl to tween room is where we are headed! (sniff, sniff!)

15 Baby Rooms November 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Wow!!! interesting post. I like to keep my room clean and colorful. My bed want to clean and the wall having the color green. This is really wonderful blog. Thanks so much for sharing…………..