Inspired Mexican Style

by Laura Casey Interiors on July 26, 2010

I have been working with a client on a Mexican inspired dining room. I have enjoyed looking at Casa San Miguel by Annie Kelly. Her husband Tim Street-Porter is the photographer.

Iron lighting fixtures and large scale fireplaces are hallmarks of this style.

Archways grace the interiors and exteriors.

There is an abundance of colorful and interesting tiles.

Vibrant reds, yellows, oranges, browns, greens and creams are the predominant colors.

White walls, white upholstery, open spaces, wooden furniture, carving, and large plants define outdoor spaces.

Authentic accessories and art enhance the rooms.

For a Mexican siesta, traditional and beautiful breezy canopies.

Now if only I were headed to Mexico…

Photo Credits: Casa San Miguel Photography by Tim Street Porter (1,2,4)  via La Dolce Vita (3), Mexican Style by Taschen (5,8) via House to Home (6,7), Karan Mann via Apartment Therapy (9,11) Kelly Wearstler

1 pve July 26, 2010 at 6:40 am

A lovely sitter used to say to my daughter at nap time, no siesta, no fiesta!
I love the idea of a little nap before dinner. Show us the dining room when you are done!

2 Maryruth July 26, 2010 at 6:54 am

Vibrant reds, oranges, browns, etc. – Marvelous and striking especially as a background for the cross. Maryruth

3 sunny goode July 26, 2010 at 7:11 am

Beautiful- thanks for sharing!! Very inspiring interiors!

4 Sally@DivineDistractions July 26, 2010 at 7:19 am

Having family in Mexico, I’ve had the pleasure of visiting several homes and haciendas, and I love the energy of the Mexican home. These are beautiful inspiration pictures, and I know you’ll have a great time designing for your client in this style. Love the luxurious bedrooms! There’s something unique about each one…so restful, yet interesting.
I enjoyed this post!

5 Mona Thompson July 26, 2010 at 8:32 am

I really admire Mexican architecture. These were some lovely photos. My sister and I are planning a trip to Cabo August 10th for a week. I hope to take lots of pictures. If I come across anything really wonderful I’ll share with you.

6 Melissa @ Veranda Interiors July 26, 2010 at 8:48 am

I think that a trip to Mexico would be a requirement for your research ;) I do love it when clients want something out of my normal realm it always makes this line of work exciting!

7 LLH Designs July 26, 2010 at 9:18 am

I always wondered if people in other parts of the country did the Mexican/Southwestern thing. There are so many lovely, warm ways to pull it off. I loved southwestern style as a girl (think Georgia O’Keefe and Sante Fe), but then I took a few trips to France and have been forever changed!

Have fun with the dining room. If you’re doing it, I know it will be fabulous!

Xo,
Linsey

8 Kathy Wommack July 26, 2010 at 9:27 am

Hi,
I AM going to San Miguel, for the second time this summer!!! We ALWAYS stay at the small boutique hotel “The Oasis”, pictured in your second photo, with the crystal chandelier and dual sofas. The hotel has only four rooms, and is located close to the Centro, yet is on a very quiet street, something very hard to find in San Miguel. We love to be pampered by the attentive staff. I LOVE San Miguel!! email me with any questions.
Nancy Hooper, who owns and designed the hotel, has incredible taste. email me for pictures of another DR she designed. You could contact the hotel to get in touch with her. She is currently designing a ranch home. To see the dining room of the Oasis, go to their website:www.oasissanmiguel.com
and on the photo tour, it is the room with the callas.

I know the chairs in the foreground of the picture are designed by Anne-Marie Midy, another fantastic designer. She designed DR in the home pictured with the outdoor sala, with the hanging stars. The DR is on her website here: http://casamidy.com/spaces/3.html The Hospicio home is Anne-Marie’s residence. Note the interesting DR chandelier: http://casamidy.com/spaces/4.html. I love the zinc topped table.

Since we are looking for a home in San Miguel, I have seen lots of DRs, and can point you to web pictures, if you are interested. just email me…

take care,
Kathy

9 Karen July 26, 2010 at 9:38 am

Laura,

Love these images of a Mexican abode! I would not do this design for myself, but would to for a client!

Karena
Art by Karena

10 Sarah Pribyl July 26, 2010 at 9:39 am

What beautiful colors and arches. I love pve’s saying “no siesta, no fiesta!”. xoxo

11 Annie Tcherepnin July 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I enjoyed these pics! The second one could be my living room in my Spanish house! Amazing how universal the look is!! Love how the clean, crisp whites don’t overpower all the bright colored tile and architectural detail! Please share pics of your dining room project when finished! xo Annie

12 pretty pink tulips July 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

I am enamored with these photos and San Miguel has been on my “to go to” list for some time. I’m so glad you reminded me to ask my friend who spent a year living there to take me back with her sometime.

xo Elizabeth

13 Kathy Wommack July 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Interestingly, Mexican style incorporates both the Moroccan influence and the French influence. Thick walls, stone floors, a carved cantera fireplace, high ceilings, an iron or crystal chandelier…all make a very strong statement. The lime plastered walls are gorgeous. I am headed to The Oasis hotel (second picture) next week, and love the decor.

14 Sherry Hart July 28, 2010 at 7:47 am

Somehow I stumbled on your blog…you know how that goes! I love it, so interesting and great posts. I will be following along with all the others…:)

15 Piper July 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

Just saw your post over at Splendid Willow – it was so gorgeous! Just like this one…makes me want to go on vacation :)

16 Anabel Garcia September 8, 2015 at 11:01 pm

We do sell beautiful Mexican Hand crafts online.