kitchen tiles

by Laura Casey Interiors on July 15, 2010

I have been working on a kitchen for a few months, and the tiles are about to go in.  I am looking forward to sharing pictures and drawings from the process. We are using white tiles, but I have enjoyed seeing varying colorful looks for a kitchen backsplash. White tiles can differ in many ways, but subway tiles continue to be the popular choice.

House Beautiful 6 kitchen tiles

House Beautiful 8 kitchen tiles

White with darker grout lines gives the tile strong definition (I love the airplane hanging from the ceiling).

Elle Decor 3 kitchen tiles

A more modern take on white tile.

Ann Sacks 3 kitchen tiles

Some interesting tile ideas worth noting….

Varying the tile on the ceiling and the wall makes for a great and different look.

House Beautiful 9 kitchen tiles

Tiles from Ann Sacks in vibrant color ways give visual interest to a kitchen.

House Beautiful 1 kitchen tiles

Ann Sacks 1 kitchen tiles

I love a chevron pattern,

Anne Marie Midy and Jorge Almada of Casamidy kitchen tiles

a good dose of blue,

House Beautiful 7 kitchen tiles

and by now you know I love anything old school, like the stoves below that remind me of my childhood.

Nice way to squeeze in an eight burner!!

Elle Decor 5 kitchen tiles

How do you prefer kitchen tile??

It’s not too late to win the PVE summer giveaway!

Photo Credits: via House Beautiful (1,2,5) Elle Decor (3,8,9) Ann Sacks (4,6,7)

1 Maryruth July 15, 2010 at 6:14 am

I like “a good dose of blue!” It makes the kitchen come alive on a rainy day!
Maryruth

2 pve July 15, 2010 at 6:54 am

I will be using glass, a large clean splash of glass.
Looked at those chunky mod tiles, but in person, they are quite thick. I love white tiles. square, sub-way or even round pennies.

3 pretty pink tulips July 15, 2010 at 7:32 am

I did my kitchen 2 years ago and looks at TONS of tiles! I ended up with a hand glazed creamy white tile – and I am still loving it. My kitchen is not huge, so I tried to make certain elements special – and I consider the tiles one of those. So….any shade of white would appeal to me – that way it will never date itself. (I’ve moved so many times that “timeless” has become part of my design aesthetic). xo Elizabeth

4 Sally@DivineDistractions July 15, 2010 at 7:35 am

The chevron is really my favorite, but it would take a gutsy homeowner who could afford to replace it once they tired of it! I’m in the midst of 3 kitchens right now…one still likes the stone look, but I think I can go a little more modern in one of them. I’ll be looking a glass in a subway perhaps. Can’t wait to see the new pics!

5 Elizabeth July 15, 2010 at 8:08 am

I’ve always been partial to subway tiles, but the tile in the kitchen of this new-to-me blogger really has me swooning.

6 Sara Jane July 15, 2010 at 9:09 am

How on earth would you ever tile a ceiling?! My arms and shoulders ache just thinking about it.

7 Ellen July 15, 2010 at 9:28 am

I’ve had tile a back splash, grout got dreadfully goopy (technical term), and so this time around I went for a solid piece of Silestone in a complimentary color to my counters, no grout to get weird…smiles.

8 Kathysue July 15, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love white tile, I always have had it in my kitchen and probably always will. You are right about it never going out, it is always a classic. I need to replace mine do to 32yrs of wear and tear but I am still going to use white tile again!! Love it, Happy Thursday,Kathysue

9 Jennifer July 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm

That’s interesting Laura, because tiles are a bit passe down here in Australia for kitchens. Glass splashbacks or back splash (as you guys call them) are all the rage or using the stone bench material and running it up the wall. Tiles are around, but I would have to agree that if they do get used then most go for white subway or 100mm x 100mm square tiles. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Jennifer XX

10 Mona Thompson July 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Love these pics. Have a couple in my inspiration files already. will add a few more. Can’t wait to see your finished project. Mona

11 Sarah Pribyl July 16, 2010 at 7:58 am

Great pictures! My favorite is the second one from the bottom too-traditional with a splash of color. xoxo

12 annechovie July 16, 2010 at 9:23 am

I love so many different kinds of tile that it’s hard for me to choose, but white is always great. Thanks for stopping by, Laura – always great to hear from you. Have a wonderful wknd. xx

13 Things That Inspire July 16, 2010 at 11:27 am

Oh, Laura, what a fabulous post. Since my kitchen design is in good shape, I haven’t been thinking much about kitchen related items, but this makes me yearn to do another kitchen post!

Someone – maybe you – pointed out that a lot of my kitchen pictures have small, almost mosaic like tile in the backsplash. My designer pulled out a Walker Zanger tile that she has been yearning to use in a kitchen – it is a hand made ceramic – but the color is so specific and I don’t want to commit to a color in the kitchen. I think we are going to do a solid slab as the backsplash, although we have not 100% committed.

I really like the look of that built in niche behind the stove (first picture) – that’s clever. Also, I have been in the kitchen with the scalloped hood, and it is a beautiful kitchen. I thought that the ceiling was wallpaper, though…not sure.

14 LLH Designs July 17, 2010 at 12:01 am

Oh my goodness! Love the scalloped edge on that vent hood. I’m beginning to think I would love scallops on anything! Wanting to add it to the bottom edge of roman shades in my kitchen!

Happy weekend!
Linsey

15 viera Tischljar July 19, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Please share with us the finished room. Love your choice of tiles. Also chevron is very interesting.
X
V

16 Tony August 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm

New to blog following and I love your wonderful blog. I really like the white subway tile paired with the darker grout lines. Is there a process/method for re-grouting tile walls and floors with a darker grout that you can link me to? Thank you for your time.