yellow with grey or gray

by Laura Casey Interiors on March 24, 2010

For a few weeks I have been giving serious thought to the color combination grey and yellow,

in both strong and light tones.

Last issue of House Beautiful I saw this add from F. Schumacher and thought ah ha!

I am not the only one still thinking about this great combination.

And in the midst of pondering this color scheme,

Anna asked me if in a note to a client grey should be spelled with an e or a….

I said “I always use E and am not sure on the answer”…

Wondering what the answer is?

Apparently I have been spelling grey the British way. greyorgray.com says:

Grey Gardens used the e.

Yellow and Grey or Gray, either way it’s a favorite color combination going strong.

A or E on your end?

photo credits: Southern Accents, via decor pad, point click home, via house of turquoise, desire to inspire, grey gardens

{ 3 trackbacks }

Yellow – Making A Comeback With a Difference – Nicola Manning Design Blog
January 11, 2016 at 2:33 am
Monday Fun – lauracaseyinteriors
December 9, 2016 at 10:57 am
Monday Fun – Laura Casey Interiors
January 11, 2017 at 5:14 pm

1 Ann March 24, 2010 at 6:47 am

Oh Laura – I love this post! I had a gray and yellow dress once that I still miss. That first image is incredible – I am crazy about the yellow chairs, the chandelier and the painting above the mantel!! Isn’t it funny when you start pondering something and then see it in a book or magazine soon after – like some sort of weird design cosmic force we aren’t conscious of (speaking of weird, I sound weird saying that!) …………….wonderful images!!

2 pve March 24, 2010 at 7:01 am

I love grey or gray and it really goes with so much. As a fashion designer, we always had grey flannel in fall and I love it with bright pops of color, yellow, orange, pink or even with a classic navy blazer.

3 style chronicle March 24, 2010 at 7:24 am

Gray and yellow are beautiful. I love a soft, creamy gay with a maize yellow. It is so subtle, soft and sophisticated.

4 Jeanette Van Wicklen March 24, 2010 at 7:58 am

Thank you SO much for the clarification!! I’ve used the “grey” word umpteen times this year and always wondered…..so, either way we’re correct!
Have a great day,
Jeanette

5 Classic with a Twist March 24, 2010 at 8:01 am

Oh, how i love yellow and “gray”! No clients would take me up on the combo so I did my daughter’s room in her apartment instead… free is free! I’m looking forward to posting it on my blog when it is finally complete.

6 Leeann March 24, 2010 at 8:21 am

I love the colour gray/grey which is gris in French – much easier!

Leeann x

7 Tina Steele Lindsey March 24, 2010 at 8:21 am

Visually looking at the word I think with A it looks like overcast morning, or a down mood, and with E it looks like a lighter mood and lighter color.
I love the combo of yellow and grey, love it!

8 Jean March 24, 2010 at 8:46 am

Love these rooms with their wonderful ideas and combinations. And, oh, for a grey day in London!

9 Kathy March 24, 2010 at 9:50 am

Emily went to school yesterday in a grey skirt and grey top under a yellow cardigan… you and she must be on the same vibe…

10 Karena March 24, 2010 at 10:13 am

I agree, Grey with so many colors is luscious, yellow, blues, turquoise, on and on!

Karena
Art by Karena

11 charmaine March 24, 2010 at 11:13 am

I don’t know why but I’ve always used “gray”. I LOVE this combination and use it a lot in my home.

12 Sara Jane March 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm

A friend of mine is getting married this summer and using yellow and grey as her color palette!

13 ashlina March 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm

love that color combo…..so spring. so fresh.fun!

14 Devon March 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I used gray/grey and yellow in my bathroom. I LOVE the combination!

15 velvet and linen March 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I recently designed a gray and yellow guest room. I love how those two colors compliment each other. Beautiful images Laura!

xo
Brooke

16 Chic Coles March 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Love that first image and the yellow door. Oh good I can spell grey either way.

17 Robert March 25, 2010 at 8:18 am

I’m using this combination for a new client. For some reason, gray makes me think of a battle ship color, while grey sounds warmer and sexier. I’m sticking with grey.

18 robyn March 25, 2010 at 10:59 am

I’m dying over that first image! I LOVE everything about it! I usually go with GREY but what do I know! ;-) My kitchen has butter yellow walls, white trim, black cabinets and a dove grey island…so I’m happy to hear that it’s still in style! LOL Here’s a photo…http://whimages.blogspot.com/2010/02/our-painted-black-cabinet-reveal.html

19 Sarah's Fab Day March 25, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I’m wishy washy and use both spellings.

20 Vicki Archer March 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm

However it is spelt I like it….xv

21 maybelline March 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

What a GREYT post on my fave color grey and it takes on a cheery personality when mixed with yellow! Thank you for adding me in as one of your “Good Design Reads”, I’m honored! I added you to my blog list too! By the way, will you be at the Bunny Williams event at the Mint on the 14th?

22 cristin @ simplified bee March 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm

What a fun post! I like it spelled w an e, but guess I should spell with an a. hmm.

And what about mantel? or mantle? I have seen it spelled both too. Maybe I should into it. If you know, pls drop me a line.

xo,
cristin

23 pve March 26, 2010 at 6:07 am

Laura,
congrats, you won the “little cakes” book!
How about some pretty little cakes to go with your pretty interiors!

24 Chic Coles March 26, 2010 at 11:30 am

I think gray interiors are officially my favorite! They are just so versatile…you can add a pop of color, black and white, really anything and it still looks fabulous!

25 LLH Designs March 27, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I love that you added the bit about how to spell grey/gray. I feel like I’ve switched back and forth depending on what I’m describing (i think of gray as more feminine and grey as more masculine…weird). But now that I’ve used so much of Benjamin Moore’s Wickham Gray in my house, I stick more to gray than grey. :) Have fun with your pops of yellow! ♥ Linsey

26 Kim Lemmon March 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Five years ago I never imagined loving anything that was gray. It has grown on me, especially with a tangy yellow companion. Also love gray with coral or orange. Thanks for the great post!

27 Colorful Childhood March 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I am not a big fan of grey, but I love the bright yellow door :)

28 a perfect gray April 11, 2010 at 9:10 am

wonderful post…I have always like spelling it with and ‘e’ as well…

29 liz conover April 11, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I loved using gray as the Executive Director at Takashimaya NY, now I will use it the way you describe with a yellow splash in our beach villas in Akumal, Mexico. Thanks for making me think of it as less yankee and younger!
Liz

30 Karla July 20, 2010 at 6:38 am

I too love yellow and gray and am pondering this combination for my next home–it is sophisticated, current and calming. I had an old house for years with buttery yellow walls and never tired of it, which was beautiful with two floors of gray murals in the foyer and hallway, original to the home. For all the others who love this combination, check out the rooms in the latest issue of Traditional Home…awesome and beautiful!

Karla

31 Yellow – Making A Comeback With a Difference – Nicola Manning Design Blog January 11, 2016 at 2:33 am

[…] CREDITS: COUNTRY LIVING; LONNY; HOUSE TO HOME; LAURA CASEY INTERIORS; This Yellow head and antlers is another quirky injection of colour and playfulness.  By adding a […]

32 Monday Fun – lauracaseyinteriors December 9, 2016 at 10:57 am

[…] and light fixtures help to differentiate a space. I have written about grey + yellow before (yellow with grey or gray). The yellow stools help to accentuate the kitchen and connect to light […]

33 Monday Fun – Laura Casey Interiors January 11, 2017 at 5:14 pm