Time Traveller

by Laura Casey Interiors on March 8, 2010

In my posts I frequently reference historical architectural styles and design movements that influence current trends. When talented Atlanta based artist Tina Steele Lindsey left me a comment on a recent post saying she would love to be a time traveller, I couldn’t have agreed more. She’s got a great site and blogclick here to check it out. For those readers in and around Atlanta Tina exhibits her work at Gallery 4463, but largely sells on a commission basis. Contact her here for interest.

I will be starting a new series called Time Traveller exploring past architects, artists, designers, historians, styles and other design influences. Here is a recap on what I have done so far in case you missed any of my early posts….

After reading Pillars of the Earth I wrote about the Gothic Revival style,

and Ancient Greek and Roman architecture set impeccable architectural standards and has since inspired architects and designers. Greek Revival style as seen in a restored home by architect Gil Schafer in NY

and the Greek Key, a design motif often used.

Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio and his Palladian influences are seen all over the world.

I wrote about the timeless style of David Hicks and his influence on contemporary design, and

back when I was a newbie blogger I looked at Piet Mondrian and the influence of his work.

Tori Mellot picked up on it in the February 2009 issue of Domino.

One of the masters- Le Corbusier- and his exponential influence on modern architecture, design and furniture and also

William Morris& Elsie de Wolfe and their influences on classical architecture, interior design, fabrics, wallpapers and furniture.

Thanks to Tina for inspiring a more concise blog series for these posts.

Where should I time travel to next? Modern, classics, the Far East. I will get to it all, just stick with me.

1 The Zhush March 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This was great! Looking forward to your series…

2 Chic Coles March 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

What a cool idea! I loved Pillars of the Earth when I read it and the Greek Revival style is definitely one of my favorites!

3 style chronicle March 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Great idea! I look forward to following you on your time journeys!!

4 Tina Steele Lindsey March 8, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Thank you so much Laura for thinking of me in your time traveler post. I look forward to what the time traveler idea will bring to the table in your new posts! I grew up on the coasts of South Carolina, and Savannah, and was surrounded in history and old homes, where I got my love of it all. This will be great. Best wishes, and again, thank you!

5 pve March 9, 2010 at 8:12 am

If I could have one superpower, it would be to travel in time. I would go back, and then I would also want to go forward. Pure Style Home posted and asked what superpowers would you like, and many wished for such interesting powers. Now I want to forward ahead to a productive day, dinner done, and reading time.

6 Shannon Morris March 9, 2010 at 8:38 am

Thank you for making it a Le Corbusier kind of day for me!

7 seleta March 9, 2010 at 9:42 am

I’m with PvE, travel through time would be a great superpower to possess. Imagine the outfits!

Love this post – someone knows their design and architectural history!!! Great tip about the Atlanta artist too, off to check out her site.

8 annechovie March 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I always enjoy your posts, Laura. I look forward to the continued series. Have a great week! xx

9 Sarah Pribyl March 11, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Wow-what a fantastic idea! I love the insightful connections you make and can’t wait to read more!

10 meg March 13, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I love your time travel posts and look forward to many, many more!