in the kitchen

by Laura Casey Interiors on December 21, 2009

I am soon going to start working on a kitchen. We have been discussing the differences between a white kitchen and a cream kitchen. The floors are currently painted a dark green, and I suggested we sand them down to see what is underneath. My hunch is that if it is in the style of the rest of the house the floors will be a beautiful old wood that needs some refinishing and staining. The dark floors will be a pretty contrast to the light cabinets. The room has a lot of natural light with windows on three sides.

Screen-shot-2009-12-20-at-12-1.27.20-PM

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.25.52 PM

While I am glad that we will be using hardwood flooring I can’t help but to love these cool tiles from Ann Sacks that are so easy on the bank at $6/sf. Possibly a little hard on your feet if you cook for long periods of time, but with some rugs and rug pads at your work stations it will work and look great.

Screen shot 2009-12-11 at 7.30.47 PM

We also discussed painting the cabinets or staining them a dark mahogany. Grey kitchens seem to be a new trend to watch for…

Screen shot 2009-12-16 at 8.22.12 AM

craig spencer

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.46.12 PM

When beginning a kitchen starting with a rough layout and keeping your stove, fridge and sink all in a workable path is best. I will be specifying the appliances in the next few weeks. There are also now so many great ways to sneak in storage and convenience into a kitchen.

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.44.21 PM

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.44.40 PM

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.45.00 PM

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.47.36 PM

Screen shot 2009-12-20 at 12.44.51 PM

What is going on in your kitchen? This week I am cooking for a little one’s birthday (tomorrow my big one is 4), Christmas Eve, cookies for Santa and Christmas Day. I will be busy in the kitchen.

Photo Credits: Decorpad, Garden Web, Cote de Texas, Craig Spencer, Suzanne Kasler, House Beautiful, Kitchens Magazine Online

{ 2 trackbacks }

December 23, 2009 at 4:37 am
Green Kitchen Makeover | My Efficient Planet
December 24, 2009 at 9:58 am

1 style chronicle December 21, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Happy Birthday to your little man! It goes so quickly…I can’t believe my big boy is already 7. Looking forward to more kitchen posts! Merry Christmas, Laura!!

2 pve December 22, 2009 at 8:03 am

I think there are so many wonderful options for kitchens now!
My Grandmother’s kitchen was the place to be. She would prepare and serve Sunday Suppers for many! We are about to renovate our kitchen, and I am loving the henry built cabinets. I love clean lines and organized spots!

3 pve December 22, 2009 at 8:04 am

oh, btw, happy b-day to your 4 year old little fella!

4 LeilaMac December 22, 2009 at 10:54 am

SO pretty! I just tagged your first few pics as inspiration for an upcoming kitchen re-do of my own. I love the creamy white cabinets (go White Dove go!) and when the cabinetry looks more like furniture than cabinets. And of course the bin pulls make my heart pitter patter. Great round-up!

5 Jean December 22, 2009 at 11:30 am

Can’t wait to do my kitchen. You are full of wonderful ideas. Yes, and I’ll have the dark floors too.

6 velvet and linen December 22, 2009 at 12:18 pm

How exciting Laura.
I love Sally Wheat’s kitchen gray. So pretty.
Happy Holidays!

xo
Brooke

7 Brillante December 22, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Beautiful kitchens and I love the wood floors. I had for many years reclaimed cotto tiles, they were also great and I did not have any problems…we don’t really cook for hours and hours every day!
Happy Holidays Laura!

8 Sanity Fair December 22, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Lovely ideas! And those pull out pan racks are FABULOUS!
I too love the plaid – it’s so festive!

9 Pat Smith at Pat's Addition December 23, 2009 at 1:43 am

Happy birthday to your big 4 year old. Our twins are 8 on the 26th. As to the kitchen…dark wood! I don’t have it but would love it. I use orientals on my tile. I have pull out drawers behind doors for pots and find the doors a pest…two movements involved! I’d go for plain deep drawers (but it came this way, and I’m not changing)

10 in the kitchen Laura Casey Interiors – Charlotte Interior Designer | kitchensolvers December 23, 2009 at 4:37 am

[…] Read this article: in the kitchen Laura Casey Interiors – Charlotte Interior Designer […]

11 Karena December 23, 2009 at 8:10 am

I am ready for a kitchen makeover! The floors and counter top are calling to me! happy Holidays ! Karena

12 Webmaster December 24, 2009 at 5:28 am

These design I really like very Much because everything is perfect .Great great kitchen cabinets ideas to make your next kitchen design and kitchen remodeling project a great success. Get great kitchen ideas for your kitchen decoration plans.Kitchen Cabinets , kitchen design, kitchen design ideas,kitchen remodel, kitchen remodeling

13 Green Kitchen Makeover | My Efficient Planet December 24, 2009 at 9:58 am