NOLA recap

by Laura Casey Interiors on June 22, 2009

Last week I was blogging from Baton Rouge, Louisiana as we were there visiting my husband’s family. We had a great trip, and I spent a wonderful day in New Orleans. New Orleans is a city like none other. It has so much character and flavor, along with terrific shopping and restaurants. Many of my stops were on Magazine Street, and the great thing about shopping in New Orleans is that there is a real mix of what you can find. Here are a few to put on your list for next time you are there…

Perch Home has an eclectic offering of furniture, lighting and accessories and is in a great space.

picture 102 NOLA recap

picture 115 NOLA recap

picture 123 NOLA recap

picture 131 NOLA recap

Eddie Ross borrowed this great looking Zinc table last year from Perch for his room at the New Orleans Homes & Garden show.

picture 142 NOLA recap

Fifi Laughlin makes some of my favorite lamps. With all sorts of shapes, bases and colors one can create a custom lamp or choose from her beautiful arrangement of existing lamps. We had been emailing for a long time and I was happy to get to meet her.

picture 72 NOLA recap

picture 81 NOLA recap

A trip to NOLA wouldn’t be complete with out a stop at Amanda Talley’s studio & gallery. I love her work and we had a great time talking about her art and design. The world gets so small…a man came in who had just purchased some of her work and we while talking we realized that we had been at Vanderbilt at the same time and had many mutual friends.

picture 52 NOLA recap

picture 41 NOLA recap

Amanda also writes a great blog where she shares her sources of inspiration and a peek into life in NOLA.

picture 64 NOLA recap

I made a quick stop into Julie Neill which has beautiful chandeliers and sconces.

picture 33 NOLA recap

picture 22 NOLA recap

Piranesi Antiques carries a well-rounded selection of antiques. I didn’t get to take any pictures but they are on 1st Dibs and worth a stop if you are near the shop.

picture 91 NOLA recap

picture 9 2 NOLA recap

I met my husband for lunch and we took a wonderful drive up St. Charles and looked at the gorgeous houses with huge windows, beautiful architectural features and the old oak trees that overhang. It was a drive that I had done with my mother about fifteen years ago and even though New Orleans has been through so much, the feeling and beauty of it had not changed.

If you have some other spots I should go to next trip please let me know….

{ 4 trackbacks }

ain’t no aint’s anymore Laura Casey Interiors – Charlotte Interior Designer
February 8, 2010 at 6:03 am
NOLA recap #2 Laura Casey Interiors – Charlotte Interior Designer
May 11, 2010 at 6:01 am
Amanda Talley & the NY Times Interior Designer in Charlotte - Interior Decorator - Laura Casey Interiors
April 8, 2011 at 6:40 am
Julie Neill Interior Designer in Charlotte - Interior Decorator - Laura Casey Interiors
July 29, 2011 at 6:03 am

1 Jean June 22, 2009 at 6:49 am

You have certainly captured the feeling of gracious New Orleans. I can’t wait to go back and see these beautiful Magazine Street stores. Everything looks delicious!

2 velvet and linen June 22, 2009 at 7:04 am

Steve and I were just in New Orleans in April. It was our first visit to this wonderful city. Since we were there for a design conference, we didn’t have much time to shop. We discovered Magazine Street on our last day there. Julie Neill has a wonderful blog. Seeing her beautiful chandeliers in person was quite a treat. Another fellow blogger, Valorie works at Perch. I loved the eclectic mix of furnishings. Valorie just did a post on Perch’s owner, Caroline’s own home. It’s definitely worth checking out. http://visualvamp.blogspot.com/2009/06/shop-keepers-homes-4-caroline-robert_20.html
Thank you for sharing the other shops you discovered. I can’t wait to check them out when I visit NOLA again.

xo
Brooke

3 Sarah Pribyl June 22, 2009 at 7:20 am

Thank you for sharing your discoveries and insights about NOLA. I’ve never been and appreciate the peak into some of their designers and styles.

4 Meg June 22, 2009 at 7:52 am

I love all the shops you visited in NOLA. I was just there a few weekends ago and blogged about it all as well! There are so many good places to see and always so little time! :)

5 pve June 22, 2009 at 8:13 am

I hope you met Val – blogger Visual Vamp – if not, next time – I adore her!
You and your husband could learn to Tango from Val ~

6 pve June 22, 2009 at 8:14 am

oh, I see Velvet and Linen has already led you to Val, all roads lead to her….

7 amanda talley June 22, 2009 at 11:34 am

Great Post! I’m so glad you had a good trip to Magazine Street! There really is a little bit of everything! The next time you get down here, we’ll have to order some shrimp po-boys from across the street and have a longer chat! I’m so glad you stopped in.

8 camila June 22, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Oh it looks like you had a great trip. What fun stores. I especially loved the pictures of perch.

9 Michele June 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I adore that painting!! it is all over the blogosphere, and it tortures me, because I want it!! She is so talented, and this is a great post!

10 Chic Coles June 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm

I love the NOLA post. You hit all the great spots. Amanda Talley’s art is just great. I love the blue and green painting. We LOVE her blog, she does a great job with it. Have you been to Ashley Longshore’s studio? Her art is fun too!! Her studio is 4848 magazine st. I am excited to go to Piranesi’s! Thanks for this post!

11 Bungalow Home June 23, 2009 at 9:01 am

Laura, I am glad you mentioned Perch–always on my list of shops to visit. Next time you are there you must visit Lucullus Antiques on Chartes Street. The owner Patrick Dunne is so knowledgeable in all things antique–especially culinary antiques. He is the author of a great book The Epicurean Collector. Definately check it out. He is also a decorator and did the interiors for Chez Fon Fon, Birmingham chef Frank Stitt’s French bistro. He also recommended a wonderful restaurant called Upperline and my husband and I eat there everytime we are in New Orleans.

12 Cristin June 23, 2009 at 11:58 am

What a fun vaca! I have never been to NOLA and you are inspiring me to do so. Love Amanda’s art, Julie’s lighting shop and perch. Thanks for the great post.

xo,
cristin

13 meg June 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Sounds like you had a great trip! I’m very inspired to get down there too and I’m headed over to check out Amanda’s work- beautiful!

14 viera June 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for sharing, what a wonderful trip.
I can imagine, its such an experience to work with excelent designers like Sara and Victoria. XX
V

15 ArchitectDesign June 24, 2009 at 7:59 am

I really need to plan a trip down there, don’t I?

16 style court June 24, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Laura, so glad you got to meet Fifi and Amanda!

17 ashlina April 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

i loved this post. love the table that eddie did. wow